Due to the threat of novel coronavirus, the GSM Association (GSMA) an industry organization that represents the interests of mobile network operators worldwide, has canceled the annual Mobile World Congress (MWC) scheduled on Feb. 24-27 in Barcelona.
Earlier this month, Swedish multinational networking and telecommunications company Ericsson pulls out of MWC 2020 citing health concerns of employees and attendees. Yesterday, the Finnish firm Nokia also announced it is skipping one of the most anticipated technology gatherings also because of the threat of coronavirus.
Other brands including Amazon, Intel, LG, Nvidia, NTT Docomo, Sony, among others withdrew their participation from the MWC2020.
“With due regard to the safe and healthy environment in Barcelona and the host country today, the GSMA has canceled MWC Barcelona 2020 because the global concern regarding the coronavirus outbreak, travel concern and other circumstances, make it impossible for the GSMA to hold the event,” GSMA said in the statement.
GSMA also said that it will now be working with the Host City Parties for next year’s MWC.
Coronavirus death toll
There is still no end in sight, as far as the health authorities are concerned. The World Health Organization (WHO) has called it a global emergency and its containment is of the utmost importance for now.
The first quarter is conferences season and many of them were scheduled months ago.