The National Privacy Commission (NPC) launched an online platform, the NPC Registration System (NPCRS), to make it easier for government and private organizations to register their data processing systems.
The new system will enable personal information controllers (PICs) and personal information processors (PIPs), through their Data Protection Officers (DPOs), to comply with the registration requirements provided in the Data Privacy Act (DPA) of 2012 and its Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR).
“Through the NPCRS, the data processing activities of PICs and PIPs will be effectively and efficiently monitored,” said Privacy Commissioner Atty. John Henry Naga. “Through this system, compliance with the Data Privacy Act of 2012 will be ensured and our endeavor to protect the personal data of every Juan and Juana will be fortified.”
The creation of NPCRS is prompted by the establishment of the Data Breach Notification Management System (DBNMS) introduced in April 2022.
Benefits of the online registration portal
The implementation of the NPCRS shall provide the following benefits to the Commission and its stakeholders:
- ease of monitoring requests/approval of registration applications
- a secure portal for the registration monitoring unit to access registration data using role-based access control
- real-time visibility in the validation of documentary requirements
- accurate collection of sectors and subsectors information
- accurate verification of active/inactive registration
- efficient retrieval of contact details of the Data Protection Officer (DPO)
- easy generation of documents (e.g. Certificate of Registration, statistical reports on registered entities (daily, monthly, yearly).
“It also provides new regulations such as the requirement to display the NPC Seal of Registration which will provide data subjects the needed assurance that entities processing their personal data have completed the first level of DPA compliance,” said Atty. Rainier Anthony Milanes, chief of the NPC’s Compliance and Monitoring Division. “The NPC Seal of Registration will be issued simultaneously with the Certificate of Registration.”